27530: Hermantin(News)S. Florida Haitians are looking home as hope, fear mingle on eve (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Sun Sentinel

S. Florida Haitians are looking home as hope, fear mingle on eve of election

By Alva James-Johnson
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

February 7, 2006

As Haitians trek to the polls today to elect a new government, their compatriots in South Florida are feeling a wide range of emotions.

Those who demonstrated in 2004 to oust former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide from office are disappointed in the interim government that followed. And those who supported Aristide are still bitter that he no longer heads their nation.

But most of all, Haitian-Americans in South Florida, home to the largest Haitian population outside the country, wish the best for an impoverished land that has been buffeted by political turmoil for 200 years.

"There's a lot of fear and uncertainty around this election," said Marleine Bastien, vice chairwoman of the Haitian-American Grassroots Coalition in Miami. "We hope things will be well, and the people of Haiti will be safe."

Haiti's latest round of political woes began Feb. 29, 2004, when Aristide was removed from office during a violent rebellion. A U.S.-backed interim government led by Boca Raton retiree Gerard Latortue replaced his government.

The interim prime minister promised to lead the country to a brighter future with the help of the Haitian Diaspora, which pumps more than $1 billion into the economy annually. But many of his supporters said he never delivered.

"I think most people I've spoken to feel very disappointed and depressed," said Parnell Duverger, a Haitian-American economist in Fort Lauderdale. On Monday night, some expatriates were scheduled to gather for prayer vigils in Miami's Little Haiti and at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Delray Beach.

"The service will be dedicated to Haiti, that's the best we can do right now," said the Rev. Roland Desormeaux, who said he is hopeful the election will help solve some of the country's turmoil.

Jacques Lafontant, president of the United Haitian-American Democratic Club in Palm Beach County, which represents more than 100 Haitians, fears more fraud than democracy.

"We believe the election will take place, but it will not be a democratic election," he said. "Somebody is going to not be elected, but selected. I'm supporting none of those candidates, none of them."

Others in South Florida are staying close to their radios for the latest news from home.

Among those watching the election closely is the Rev. Gerard Jean-Juste, a Catholic priest recently released from a Haitian jail for cancer treatment in Miami.

On Monday he stood outside the Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, his neck still healing from a biopsy incision. With all the strength he could muster, he endorsed his friend, former Prime Minister Rene Preval, for president.

Preval, who belongs to Aristide's Lavalas Party, served as the country's president from 1996 to 2000, between Aristide's two terms.

"He's the most popular among the candidates," said the priest, who turns 60 today. "With the good results coming, this is my birthday present."

Jean-Juste and other Lavalas leaders said Aristide supporters will gather today at the headquarters of Veye Yo, a Lavalas organization, in anticipation of a Preval victory.

Other Haitian-Americans questioned whether Preval could serve without Aristide, now exiled in South Africa, pulling the strings.

"He was president before, but he wasn't president in his own right," said Gerard Ferere, a Boca Raton retiree and Latortue supporter. "What would Preval do now on his own? I don't know."

Jean-Juste and his supporters, who said they had paid for a room and made arrangements to hold the news conference inside the hotel, were evicted Monday morning, said Jack Lieberman of the Haitian Solidarity Committee, a pro-Aristide civil rights group.

"I can't believe this would have happened if this was a Haitian official or someone in favor with the powers that be," Lieberman said.

A woman who answered a phone call to the Wyndham said management had no comment.

Broward Sheriff's Office deputies were called and reporters were told they couldn't enter the building.

Chief Bryan Cowart said deputies had received a call from the hotel reporting a public disturbance. He said his deputies turned people away because hotel management asked them to do so.

Throughout South Florida, rumors of a possible massacre at the polls back home spread. And many were still angry that Haiti doesn't allow dual citizenships, meaning Haitians with U.S. citizenship can't vote.

"It's very frustrating for us," said Margaret Armand, a Haitian-American community activist in Plantation. "They want our money, but they don't want our votes."

Staff Writer Erika Slife contributed to this report.

Alva James-Johnson can be reached at ajjohnson@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4523.