27556: Vedrine (reply) RE: 27535: Nlbo: (News and Comments)Boston Globe Article on Haiti (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

My advice to the new president is to first build trust and establish security. Then construct Haiti's >basic infrastructures like the roads, water, electricity, telephone and simutalneously envision a >21rst century educational agenda for Haiti that will change hearts and minds. Henry Christophe >was the only government in the 206 years with a sound, state of the art educational agenda, but that was only in the North. I hope this government could be the next to spend more money >on educating Haiti's children than on the military. In our times, the late Bernard tried to, but he >did not get support. In the diasporic leadership, educational ideas and vision are not heard of >either. Nekita

Many people would certainly agree with you.

#1. Fix the SECURIY MACHINE. Get ready to punish bandits who will try to break it (by setting example). Haitians like TOUGH leaders to rule them. So you must be TOUGH, not SOFT if you want to rule Haiti.

#2. ELECTRICITY. That's the basic core (for infrastructure) to start with. So far, none of the past leaders had done so. Can you believe that the Duvaliers ruled Haiti for almost 30 years and couldn't solve that BASIC PRObLEM while stealing billions of $$? Not only Haiti could also use SOLAR energy (quite cheap), but also the country has access to WATER (for hydraulic power) almost everywhere; water is being wasted instead of building dams to conserve them to be used also for IRRAGATION. All these folks (ruling Haiti had been to school but most of the time can't use their mind to do GOOD things for the country). Quebec was trying to help Haiti in that way (something that I heard) but, that was blocked by people in government (because they were thinking of making their own $$ from the deal and to even charge QUEBEC through the Haitian customs); they then helped the Dominicans and what's worse, Haiti was trying to some of their power later...

ev