27559: Boswell: (reply) Re: 27554: Rossier: (reply) Re: 27550: K. White (Question) Re: 27541: Morse /Ignorant press statements (fwd)

Richard A. Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

It remains to be seen how people will react to a Preval victory, or if there will be such a clear victory. This election was loaded with problems and provides "justification" for anyone who is discontented to continue with their opposition. In the event of a Preval victory, will those who were opposed to Aristide merely transfer their anger to Preval? Can the anti-Aristide opposition be lumped together so casually? How much violence will there continue to be. From my reading of the way that Haiti has digressed in the last two years, I doubt that the violence will subside, for it is a symptomatic of a near complete breakdown of government. The tragic lesson that I have learned from all of this is that with the latest coup, the dissatisfied can easily resort to extra-legal means to solve their political problems.