27575: Boswell (reply) Re: 27590: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti-Elections (fwd)

From: Richard A. Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

The most recent AP story that I have seen makes reference to a voter turnout of greater than 50%. Does anyone know how this compares to previous elections, and whether the number reflects a revised "voter registration" method. I am trying to understand how many fewer Haitians participated in this election. A lower voter turnout if it was due to registration issues or lack of polling places could take away from the general sense of legitimacy from whoever is elected.

Any specific answers would be much appreciated.

Richard A. Boswell
boswellr@pacbell.net or boswellr@uchastings.edu