27638: Hermantin(News)Village becomes a beehive of trade (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Fri, Feb. 10, 2006

BORDER COMMERCE
Village becomes a beehive of trade
One of the border points between the Dominican Republic and Haiti opens every Friday and Monday, to virtually anyone with something to sell or a need to buy.
BY FRANCES ROBLES
frobles@MiamiHerald.com

DAJABON, Dominican Republic - It's 5:30 a.m., and already Creole voices can be heard through the darkness, just above the sound of the swishing of the knee-high water that separates the Dominican Republic from Haiti.

As others wade through the river, one Haitian man waiting to import fighting cocks to Haiti has arrived at the Dominican side of the border 2 ½ hours before it opens. A customs worker is shaking him down for taxes.

''You don't want to pay?'' customs employee José Torres shouted when Yoel Lluasa refused to shell out the $3 he demanded. ``Let's see if I don't hit you with a stick, lock you up and seize your roosters! You're an animal!''

60,000 CROSSINGS

In three more hours the little bridge that divides Haiti and the Dominican Republic will be chaos, a mad rush of merchants, shoppers on same-day visits and people whose real plan is to slip into the Dominican Republic for good. As it struggles to stem a tide of illegal immigration from Haiti, it grapples with a thorny reality: Twice a week, the border here opens for trade and absolutely anybody can pass with ease.

A Spanish soldier posted there with U.N. peacekeepers deployed in Haiti said he once counted up to 60,000 border-crossings from the Haitian town of Ouanaminthe in a single day.

''It must be the only place in the world with a border like that, where thousands of people rush by without anybody checking their papers,'' said attorney general Francisco Domínguez Brito. ``What border? I say we don't have one.''

At 8 a.m. one recent morning, no one could find the key to the border gate. Thousands of Haitians pressed up against the gate as others tried slipping into the water, this time being stopped by Dominican soldiers.

The doors finally swung open a half-hour late, letting in thousands of Haitians carrying merchandise on their heads -- mostly new shoes and toys donated from other countries. Others charge by with empty wheelbarrows they'll need to carry their purchases.

`MARKET OF ILLEGALS'

Lluasa finally gets through with his roosters, without having paid the extra ''fee'' requested. Dominican soldiers grab the Haitian women, poking at their sacks to make sure they are not smuggling contraband: rice.

''This is a market of illegals,'' said Dajabón Gov. Sonia Mateo Espinosa. ``We allow them to come here and buy food. They are children of God, and we cannot deny them bread.''

Mateo Espinosa runs down the ills: streets clogged with immigrants, people defecating and urinating in the streets. The international community promised to build a new market with toilets, she said, but Dajabón, a town of 14,500 people, has yet to see it.