27660: Morse (reflection) Haiti elections (fwd)

_oloffsonram@aol.com_ (mailto:oloffsonram@aol.com)

I'm trying to understand why I thought Preval had a much larger percentage
of the vote than he actually did.

1) There was no consistent second place candidate. In the north it was one
candidate, in the Central Plateau a second, in the South a third, etc.

2) Second place was consistently near 10% (except for the Central Plateau
where Baker was in the twenties). If you talk to a group of 5 people,
statistically, there is no 10%.

3) I don't hang out with industrialists (Baker), hard core Protestants
(Jeunes), conservative intellectuals (Manigat).

I'm hoping, and cautiously optimistic, that Haiti can begin to move  forward.
Of course, it's too early to  tell.