27678: Vishnusurf: (reply) Re: 27647: VishnusMatt Jay: Haiti election results.(Commentary) Math Jay (fwd)

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

Math Jay writes:

It will be another challenge of this new regime to create or   start creating
the conditions in the country where this Messiah driven  urge  to vote is
replaced by a conscious and educated
electorate who  chooses its  leaders not because of sentimental attachement
but
because  of ideology and that  is much further in the future of Haiti if
ever.

I cannot sit back quietly without objecting to this claim, for it strikes  me
as somewhat condescending because it essentially is saying that "Haitians are
 not ready for democracy." Or, if that is an unfair misreading of Jay's
interesting post, one perhaps rooted in my sentimental attachment  to Haiti,
then
let me transform my objection into a challenge:  did the considerably higher
literacy rate of the U.S.-American  electorate really prove of much worth in
the last presidential election here in  the USA?
Perhaps the bottom line and moral of the story is that Plato was right all
along: democracy is one of the worst forms of governance.