27723: De Verteuil (reply) Re: 27710: Goldberg: (reply) RE: 27706: De Verteuil (comment) Elections (fwd)

From Patrick de Verteuil

The blank ballot question is moot, as I am advised that the electoral law
specifies that they be included in the valid vote totals.
I wish this was not so. It appears that Mr Preval will anyway prevail. If
this is so would it not be better (whether one approves of him or not) that
he prevail immediately without the turmoil leading up to the 2nd round.

It could be that the blank votes represent the wish of the electors to make
a statement; none of the above.
It appears more likely, taking into consideration the difficulties involved
in casting a vote here in Haiti and the probable level of electoral
sophistication, that the blank votes are just another sort of spoiled
ballot: some made too many marks and some made not enough marks. One elderly
Abricots voter told me that he left the ballot blank as his choice, Preval,
was in first place (#1 on the ballot) and therefore no change was necessary.