27676: Vedrine (comments): Manipulation of the elections results (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

Manipulation of the elections results will only continue to lead Haiti to total chaos and keep on diving the country. It is time that the CEP publishes the official results. People across the country know about these manipulations going on and what’s worse, even some presidential candidates recognize that Preval is the winner. Any RUN-OFF SHOULD BE BOYCOTTED by the Haitian people in order to respect their will. These people who have massively voted in favor of their favorite leader are not stupid when they have been waiting for these results since Friday. Isn’t it a shame for an institution like CEP when even presidential candidates who are members of the recent coalition and who are Preval’s rival make these statements? Please, give Haiti a chance to move forward!

"The people elected Preval. I respect their will," Dany Toussaint, a presidential candidate who won about 7,000 of more than 2 million votes cast, said on local radio. "I recognize they did not vote for me." (Joseph Guyler Delva and Jim Loney, Feb 14 (Reuters)

"Other presidential candidates also conceded Preval had won, including Chavannes Jeune, who is running fourth, former Port-au-Prince Mayor Evans Paul, who won just over 2 percent of the vote, and ex-Prime Minister Marc Bazin, who took under 1 percent. "A runoff ... would not solve anything," Paul said. "Let us look for balance in parliament and forget about the second round. That will be proof of political intelligence." (Joseph Guyler Delva and Jim Loney, Feb 14 (Reuters)

e.w.vedrine