27809: Durban: Corrected version here (fwd)

Minor mistakes in the first version of this e-mail below.
Durban (comment):  Speeches we'd like to hear

Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com> writes:

--Lesly Francois Manigat--
    Fellow Haitians, I will be uncharacteristically brief.  I want to
thank my supporters, whom I only wish had been more numerous.    A
recount may still be technically required, but as an educator with some
brain cells still firing, I know how to count and can see where any
run-off will lead.  Unfortunately, it will require a concession speech
from someone other than René Préval.
    I have decided that it will not be me.  I decline to participate in
a run-off and, in fact, ask my supporters to join me in congratulating
Mr. Préval on his certain victory.  We in Haiti have a huge task in
front of us, and Myrlande and I pledge our full support to Mr. Préval
as he settles into the chair that I myself had hoped to fill.

--Jacques Bernard--
   As Directeur General of the CEP, I categorically affirm to all
candidates and the public at large that all votes have been counted as
accurately and fairly as humanly possible.  I am aware of no
improprieties that have not been corrected immediately upon discovery,
and give my solemn word of honor that I will resign my position
immediately if I learn of any such cheating.  Furthermore, I will
publicly denounce the malfacteurs, and work with our legal system to
make right any wrong that is uncovered.

(Note:  Above statement to REPLACE Jacques' radio denounciation on
Tuesday of rumors that claim he is on the take for millions of dollars.
Sorry, Jacques, your radio denunciation was inadequate.  A lot of
mis-counting can be done for much less a million dollars and many
people listening were left wondering how much less you were willing to
settle for.  What's needed is a firm public statement that absolutely
no cheating by anyone in your agency has taken place and that none
will be tolerated).

--Rene Preval--
   I thank my many supporters who have spoken with a loud voice both
during and after the recent election.  I particularly want to thank the
many honest Haitian property owners and business leaders who have
supported my candidacy.  These are hard-working, wealthy people who
have money but understand that our country can only advance if all
boats are lifted.  I call on them to spread that vision amongst their
friends and neighbors.
    I also call on our poorer citizens to understand that those with an
education, those with money to invest, those with a visa who choose to
remain in Haiti, are also critical to the growth and well-being of our
country.  Let's put tet ansem, and make a renewed effort to understand
fellow-Haitians who are not like ourselves.
    And yes, Mr. Simeus, you are a Haitian.  Now please get down here
and give me a hand.

--Dumarsais Simeus--
   The other day I was quoted as saying that prison might be an
appropriate next stop for Prime Minister Latortue and members of his
government who overruled the Cour de Cassation on that ruling about my
candidacy.  This was a poor decision on their part, but the Haitian
habit of throwing former leaders in prison is not one that I subscribe
to.  In the long run, this is simply counter-productive for the
country, and I simply over-reacted.  Let us all work to strengthen the
independence of the Haitian judicial system so that illegal detentions
are a thing of the past.

-George W. Bush-
    My fellow Americans, I want to congratulate the apparent winner in
the recent presidential election in Haiti, René Préval.  I admire a man
who knows when to keep his mouth shut, and René's done a heckuva job
winning more than four times as many votes as his nearest rival.  I
want him to know that he has the full support of our government as he
begins the daunting task he now faces.
    I also am told that all candidates in the Haiti election ran clean,
positive campaigns, and I'm wondering if we in the Republican party
could learn something from this example.  Karl, are you taking notes?
Heh heh, just kidding.