27840: (news) Chamberlain: US welcomes Preval's presidential win in Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

    WASHINGTON, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Washington on Thursday welcomed Rene
Preval's presidential election win in Haiti, putting the key diplomatic
power's seal of approval on the election of the one-time ally of ex-leader
Jean-Bertrand Aristide who resigned under U.S. pressure.
     "We congratulate Mr. Preval on his victory and we look forward to
working with the new government to help the Haitian people build a better
future for themselves," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said in a
written answer to a question.  "Our understanding is that the results of
these elections respect Haitian laws and regulation."