27943: re: 27926: Senou: Comment: A Call for a Coalition and a Unity government (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

Review of Senou's comments:

Yes, everyone knows that the presidential elections are over and Preval is the president-elect. Haitians (most of them) don't see things in the American way (in terms of the elections are over, congratulate the winner). It's terrible when reading about Manigat's reaction about Preval, the winner. Manigat who came in secound position does not even get 13% (of over 90% of the votes counted) and he's been complaing about an "electoral coup" (against him), and even thinking of all possible ways for a legal fight. I don't know how many of us have read one the funniest fables by La Fontaine, "La grenouille et le boeuf". Where's the beef (in the case of Manigat's wanting to burst)?

Senou, in his article suggests that the 'Diaspora or the mainland' must work together. The thing is that we (Haitians in the Diaspora - those who really want to help Haiti) need the PROPER CHANNELS to do so and of course, we focus on ANY serious government who ascends to power to create / open these channels. In other words, we need STRUCTURES (as models to help us or to follow). I talk about the importance of HUMAN RESOURCES in a latest article I've written, how Haiti can benefit from it. But unfortunately, that has never been exploited to help Haiti to my knowledge. Shouldn't that be part of the "Minister of the Diaspora"'s agenda (to create these crucial channels in order to exploit human resources for the benefit of Haiti's development? I guess this should be among the most important agendas' of the incoming government. Yes, there are many Brothers and Sisters in the Diaspora who would love to help Haiti with all their heart BUT, they need proper channels, institutions to do so and something that the following government can build upon to help the country moving forward.

At the same time, we SHOULD encourage group of people who are trying to do anything to help (without waiting for these proper channels to be created). Among these groups, we can mention the "regional groups" (e.g, some people who are from certain regions in Haiti decide to get together to do something to help their native province: building a clinic, school, hospital, create a business, an activity for the youth, whatever...). This is an excellent idea because at the same time, the country has too many problems to be solved and really if we are conscious, it would be impossible to wait for any government who ascends to power to solve all of of Haiti's problems in 5 years. But these projects MUST BE ENCOURAGED by the Haitian government, they must try to support these groups (for instance, facilitate them if they need certain autorisation from the govenment to proceed with what they are doing, certain help to ship some materials to Haiti and we know the headache they can have through the CUSTOMS service in Haiti. Confronting these problems cand discourage them from helping their own provinces (that are part of Hati) when the government can't help them and in a way, they are helping the government somehow by making the burden lighter for them.

BLAMING each other and taking revenges are among the points mentioned by Senou. Yes, Haitians are very good at that (blaming each other and taking revenges, blaming former colonizers all the time instead of taking responsibility for their own mess). It's a whole MENTALITY that needs to be changed here (to GROW up in a way), and that can't be done over night. Not only we have to preach what's good to be done constantly, but also we (who are doing the preaching) must also set examples as models to follow.

In Senou's suggestion to 'to follow Mandela footsteps'. We first see FORGIVENESS here and be able to work with RIVALS. But can that really happen in Haiti? But first, shouldn't there be a JUSTICE system (to tell "x" or "y" of their wrong doings before forgiveness can be granted (if he wants to follow the Mandela' model)? Look how many people who have been in jail since Latortu came to power (in few days, 2 years) and these prisoners never see their judge, something that's against the constitution because they MUST see their judge in two days. So, I guess Senou is going to think of that (how to grant forgiveness after justice is done). Yes, we can FORGIVE and not FORGET. Haitians are not easy to forgive and we know that. Is it really part of the Haitian culture or of a political culture (back home)?

In calling to 'establish a bridge between those 'who have' and those 'who have not', as Senou mentions, our question is: How SOLID can that bridge be? Here, I see that he leaves out TO CREATE. How about that, create also to empower 'who have not', teach them how to create to have (not just "give" them)? If you show me how to fish, it would be better than giving me a fish daily for I can be on my own catching many every day in the nearby water and at any time (teaching to be independent).

e. w. vedrine