27950: (news) Chamberlain: Aristide sees private role upon return to Haiti

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Paul Simao

     PRETORIA, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide said on Wednesday he intended to help shape the future of the
Caribbean nation as a private citizen when he returned from exile.
     "I am confident that I can serve my country without being involved as
the president of the country now," Aristide told reporters in Pretoria,
where he has lived since fleeing Haiti in 2004 following a violent revolt
against his rule.
     Aristide, a populist who won two presidential elections only to be
driven from power both times, declined to rule out a return to politics but
stressed he would focus on education when he returned to the impoverished
nation.
     But he said he would do so only after consultations with South African
President Thabo Mbeki and Rene Preval, a former ally who was declared the
winner of Haiti's presidential election last week.
     Preval's victory sparked speculation that Aristide's return would be a
speedy and celebratory one. Aristide on Wednesday said the two men had
spoken but declined to give details. "It is a private matter," Aristide
said.
     On Tuesday, he told South Africa's SABC television he believed he
would return "as soon as possible".
     The former Roman Catholic priest described the election results as a
victory for the Haitian people. "I care about him. I care for our
president," Aristide said, referring to Preval.
     While Preval has distanced himself somewhat from Aristide, he has said
there was nothing to stop him from returning from South Africa. Mbeki also
has voiced a similar opinion.
     It is unclear how the United States, which some have accused of
helping oust Aristide two years ago, views the prospect.
     Aristide's two interrupted terms in power coincided with unrest that
spilled into America's lap.
     In the 1990s, the United States was forced to deal with a mass exodus
of boat people who fled to U.S. shores to escape a surge in political
bloodletting following a military coup that overthrew Aristide.
     In 2004, U.S. troops entered Haiti to help restore calm when Aristide
was deposed a second time. Washington's overwhelming concern now, it
appears, is to maintain stability in Haiti.
     But Aristide, who remains popular in much of Haiti and blames the
United States for his ousting, might, if he returns, push Preval to
challenge U.S. policy in the Caribbean.
     Aristide said on Wednesday that relations between Haiti and the United
States must revolve around mutual respect and a commitment to democracy,
freedom and human rights.
     Aristide is not the only one pressing for an end to his exile. One of
South Africa's opposition parties, the Democratic Alliance (DA), said on
Wednesday it wanted the former Haitian leader to leave as soon as possible.
     "The total cost of his stay in South Africa can be reasonably assumed
to have run into millions of rands -- an extraordinary waste of precious
resources given South Africa's pressing development needs and Mr.
Aristide's dubious human rights record," the DA said in a statement.

----- End forwarded message -----