28013: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti-US Diplomat (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By STEVENSON JACOBS

   PORT-AU-PRINCE, Feb 27 (AP) -- Haiti's success depends on whether its
people can unite behind a new government, a top U.S. diplomat said Monday,
calling ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's possible return "one of
the least important questions" facing the country.
   Thomas Shannon, assistant U.S. secretary of state for Western Hemisphere
affairs, urged Haitians to support president-elect Rene Preval's government
and to help the impoverished nation "meet the tremendous development
challenges that it faces."
   "The success or failure of Haiti will depend on whether or not the
Haitian government and the Haitian people work together," Shannon told
reporters during a one-day visit to meet with Preval and Haitian officials.
   Shannon's visit came more than a week after Preval was declared the
winner of Feb. 7 elections, the first since a revolt two years ago toppled
Aristide, a former ally of Preval who still enjoys wide support among
Haiti's poor.
   Aristide has been living in exile in South Africa, and Preval has said
Aristide's return is permitted under the constitution.
   But Shannon downplayed that possibility when asked how the United States
would react.
   "From our point of view, it's one of the least important questions that
Haiti faces at this time," Shannon said. "We are focused on Haiti's future,
not on its past, and we believe the Haitian people are also."
   Shannon said he didn't believe Haitians would take to the streets
calling for Aristide's return. "Mr. Aristide has been gone for over two
years, and those protests haven't appeared," he said.