28041: Stidham (comment on beggingg) Re: 28028: FKondrat (response) Re: 28019 (fwd)

From David Stidham (stiddemdavid@aol.com)

In a message dated  3/2/2006, Peter Kondrat  [kondr8@gmail.com] writes:

"I was not in Haiti at  the time, but I heard that there was a  similar swell
of pride right  after the first election of Aristide, with  people cleaning
up their  neighborhoods, painting dilapidated homes, etc.  Can others confirm
or  comment?"

I was returning from Port-de-Paix after monitoring the presidential
elections--passing crowd after crowd of people celebrating  Aristide's victory (days
before official results were announced)--when our  vehicle was approached by a
beggar.  Another man standing nearby quickly  admonished the beggar, telling
him it was "a new day for Haiti" and he had  no business begging any more.