28047: kathleen (comment)Fw: 28041: Stidham (comment on beggingg) Re: 28028: FKondrat (response) Re: 28019 (fwd)

From Kathleen:
Would that that new day had endured.  The people certainly deserved that.
Skillfully but inevitably, Aristide twisted the fault from Haiti's
politicians to "blan misere."   France, U.S., Canada.  When beggars
surrounded me in St. Marc during Aristide's presidency, I replied, "Mande
Aristide."  Some people showed up at the palace in response to his statement
to the effect that his door was always open, and he would help with jobs.
 The begging of blan has morphed into stealing, kidnapping.  George is
right.

I was returning from Port-de-Paix after monitoring the presidential
elections--passing crowd after crowd of people celebrating  Aristide's
victory (days
before official results were announced)--when our  vehicle was approached
by a
beggar.  Another man standing nearby quickly  admonished the beggar,
telling
him it was "a new day for Haiti" and he had  no business begging any more.

--