28076: (news) Chamberlain: Ex-Haitian soldiers threaten violence over back pay (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Joseph Guyler Delva

     PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, March 6 (Reuters) - A group of former soldiers
threatened on Monday to stage violent protests to force Haiti's government
to come up with years of back pay they say they are owed.
     The threat was emblematic of some of the many challenges facing
President-elect Rene Preval, who was declared winner of a chaotic election
in Haiti last month and will soon lead an impoverished nation awash in
firearms where the rich and poor are divided by hatred.
     The claim that ex-soldiers are still owed several years of back pay
has never been disputed by the government. Former President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide disbanded the military in 1995.
     "We are going to take action if we don't find the right answers to our
demands," Jean Fito Moise, a spokesman for the group of former soldiers,
told a news conference.
     "We have to get paid without any further delay," he said. "Otherwise,
the government will be responsible for any violence which may result from
this situation of frustration."
     Moise was one of about 100 ex-soldiers who gathered outside a
government office that deals with matters involving demobilized troops.
     "We are not looking for trouble. But we also have a family to feed,"
said Joseph Noel, a former corporal. "We are not violent, but hunger and
frustration can trigger violence."
     Haiti's ramshackle capital has been plagued by armed gangs and
kidnappings since long before Preval's election. The 63-year-old agronomist
faces staggering security problems in the Caribbean nation, where 80
percent are unemployed and incomes average just $400 per year.
     Following Aristide's ouster in an armed revolt in February 2004,
Haiti's former military leaders said 10 years of salary was owed to several
thousand soldiers.
     The government eventually agreed to disburse more than $24 million in
arrears payments, according to former Col. Jean-Claude Jeudy, the
commissioner in charge of the government office on demobilized troops. But
only about one third of the money has been paid so far.
     "We wish we could come here one day and tell everybody 'come and pick
up your check.' But the government does not have all the money available
now. We have to pay gradually as the government has the money available,"
he said.
     "I don't think the problem can be solved with violence. I urge the
ex-soldiers to give up all desire to engage in violence, it can only spoil
everything."