28083: (info) The Nation Digital Archive (fwd)

From: The Nation Magazine <charles@thenation.com>

Bob Corbett prefaces:

Folks, years ago one of my students did a long bibliography of articles on the U.S. Occupation of Haiti which had appeared in The Nation in the years from 1915-1934.

Recently a person at The Nation found my list and wrote to tell me there
is an on-line archive which has EVERYTHING from The Nation on it.

That would be a valuble tool for anyone researching or writing about The Nation. Armed with my student's bilbiography, and their archive, one could get lots of quite relevant material.

Here is the note from the man at The Nation.

Professor Corbett:

Here's some preliminary information about the archive:

 "My greetings to The Nation as it reaches its Centennial. Its pages were an
inspiration to me in my teens
for it helped me untangle many a web of confusion. And during the rest of my
life it has prodded, provoked,

challenged, questioned, and protested - leaving no vital issue untouched.

It has served the people in the best journalistic tradition this country has
known.

                               Justice William O. Douglas in The Nation,
1965

The Nation is America's oldest continuously published weekly magazine. Since
1865, The Nation has stood firmly for human rights, civil liberties, and
economic justice. Even today, The Nation is the most popular political and
cultural journal in libraries throughout the country.

We have recently developed The Nation Digital Archive. The 140-year on-line
collection contains authoritative information, opinion, and criticism in the
fields of politics, literature, economics, foreign affairs, and the arts. It
includes over 7000 issues; with more than 20,000 book reviews, 3000 theater
reviews, 8000 film reviews, 10,000 poems, and thousands of cartoons,
advertisements, and illustrations. The digital archive enables researchers to
access this historical material in ways never before possible - with lightning
fast searches of nearly 200,000 pages by specific topic, author, issue, date
range, or keyword. In addition to the archive, your subscription includes
complete access to The Nation on-line for you and your students. Consequently,
every article from every issue - July 1865, to the most recent - is readily
accessible.

Moreover, we post an independently prepared, on-line teachers guide for recent
issues, which can be utilized anytime, at your convenience. The guide contains
articles from the archive that relate to topics in current issues, vocabulary
and reading comprehension questions, and recommendations for research and
debate.

Also available are specific event "theme packs" which catalogue The Nation's
analysis of significant historical events (i.e. Post Civil War Reconstruction,
The Scopes Trial, The Brown Decision and School Integration, All Eyes On
Little Rock: 1957, The Hiss-Chambers Case, The Montgomery Bus Boycott, The
Scottsboro Case, The Roots of the Vietnam War, and more). The "packs," which
are available in PDF format, also provide reading comprehension questions,
vocabulary and topics for discussion.

The price of comprehensive archive access is $150 for the first year, and $75
for each additional year. There is a one time set-up fee of $125. This program
is significantly funded by outside contributions to The Nation, and
consequently is available only to classroom professors, and not to libraries.

Throughout the decades, the most thought-provoking scholars, poets, world
leaders, artists, critics, and scientists have confronted the most essential
issues of their times on the pages of The Nation, and who have, in the words
of former Nation editor Henry Raymond Mussey, "stood for truth amid the raging
storm of lies religiously whipped up by every possible agency of public and
private mendacity, and stood for tolerance and fair play amid a mob who called
tolerance treason and labeled fair play pro-bolshevism."

It is our sincere belief that The Nation Digital Archive is a distinctive and
valuable research innovation. Professors at Amherst, Columbia, Berkeley,
Dartmouth, Duke, Florida, Harvard, NYU, UCLA, Princeton, Stanford, Tennessee,
UC-Irvine, Vanderbilt, Vassar, Wellesley, Yale and others are presently
utilizing the archive.

To subscribe to The Nation Digital Archive, or for additional information,
please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely yours:

Charles

Charles Bittner