28192: Davis: (announce) Edited volume on race in early French Atlantic seeks writers (fwd)

From: "Davis, Karen" <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

From: <PRUITTD@rhodes.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

I am seeking contributors for an edited collection treating race, racial
identity and lived experience in the early modern French Atlantic during
the long eighteenth century (1715-1815). I have NOT approached a
publisher yet; I have, however, already communicated with several
individuals whom I know personally or to whom I was referred. Some
senior scholars have tentatively agreed to participate and I would now
like to broaden my call.

I envision this project consisting of essays organized around the
general theme "Negotiating Race." I am purposely vague about the theme
at this point to cast the widest net possible. The collection would be
divided into two broad sections. The first, tentatively titled
"Imagining Race," would feature essays addressing how racial language
and categories were created, lived and challenged. The second, "Living
Race," would focus on the human reality of being a racial Other during
moments of racial contact and/or conflict.

My own research deals with the gens de couleur community in
eighteenth-century Nantes, but I want for this collection to be a true
Atlantic World study. Contributions from scholars who work on French
interactions with indigenous American peoples are welcome.

This project would be scheduled for 2007-2008.

If you are interested, please contact me off-list at pruittd@rhodes.edu
.

Thank you,

Dwain C. Pruitt, Ph.D.