28207: O'Brien (possible answer to cilantro questions) RE: 28199: Re 28171 and 28184 (questions) About cilantro. From MathJay (fwd)

From:  Martha O'Brien

I have no idea what cilantro/coriandor is called in Haiti, but I'll make a
good guess that the French name, which may or may not be reflected in the
Kreyòl name, of course, might well be the same as what I heard used in a
Francophone Belgian household recently:  simply, coriandre.  In English, it
seems to me that I have heard "cilantro" used when speaking of the leaves
and "coriandor" to refer to the seeds, which are also used as flavoring in
some recipes.  (Sorry--my knowledge is based only on observation and does
not extend to Latin names and different varieties of the plant.  Nor do I
know anything about its use in Haitian cuisine.)