28227: Rigdon (reply) RE: 28268: lyall (comment) electrifying Haiti (fwd)

From: jrigdon@researchonline.net - John Rigdon

J.D. Lyall's comments go directly to two issues that have kept me
occupied trying to figure out how to make it happen.

He describes several "do-it-yourself" projects that solve particular
electrical needs and even mentions that "some nuns from up in the
country inland from Plaisance who wired two houses for 12 volts" (please
forgive my mail chauvinism (grin)).

I had two people comment to me about 6 months ago that the key to adult
literacy is to provide things that they "NEED" to read.  This differs
from children's literacy where we need to foster a life-long love of
reading.

What can we do to put together a set of "basic electrical projects" in
detail in Creole and possibly French that someone with little background
can implement?

I know "in theory" that I need to wire two 6-volt batteries in series to
get 12 volts and in parallel to get more power (or maybe it's the other
way around) but can someone explain that you hook a wire from the
Positive to the Positive of two batteries (or whatever it takes) in
order to run your radio?

John Rigdon
Tools and Resources for Haiti
http://www.researchonline.net/haiti