28468: Simidor (comment): Scandals in the family (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor, <danielsimidor@yahoo.com>

Scandales dans la famille

1.  ?Gérard Latortue Déshabillé par Boniface
Alexandre.?  Somebody wrote a spoof based on a
fictitious Haiti-Progrès interview with former interim
president Alexandre Boniface, and an unnamed radio
station in Port-au-Prince eagerly broadcasted the said
spoof as real news.  This is according to a stiff note
from a shocked Boniface, ?indignant and incensed by
the disrespectful and disobliging remarks attributed
to him.?  The spoof in question is posted under the
heading ?News of the Day? on the website
windowsonhaiti.com, a known Lavalas amen corner.  So
eager are Titid?s friends to talk black into white.

In the fictitious Haiti-Progrès interview, Boniface
denounced former Prime-Minister Gerard Latortue as a
?faker, fripouille and ratatouille,? hired by the US
embassy above the heads of the gullible Conseil des
Sages.  ?The former interim president confided that
Latortue lied to him about the contract for the
exploitation of our submarine environment (a lot money
changed hands), even though during an earlier oil
scandal ?I filled the Prime Minister?s reservoirs and
those of his nephew, so much so that they almost
drowned.??

2.  This week?s Haiti-Progrès is without the regular
column ?This Week in Haiti,? edited by our beloved
comrade Kim Ives.  Instead we are treated to, not one,
but two full-page ads from Western Union (in color, if
you please!).  For those who don?t know, Western Union
is the ugly multinational that charges 10% to 15% to
Haitian immigrants in North America for delivering
money to their loved ones in Haiti.  This reminds one
of Haiti-Progrès? earlier bout with the New York
Police Department, in the aftermath of the police
killing of a young Haitian, Patrick Dorismond, when
there was so much money changing hands, why,
Haiti-Progrès just had to have its share of the loot!

But that?s not all.  This week?s ?This Week in Haiti?
has been replaced by a column that reads in part: ?On
April 1, Western Union launched its national ?Million
Dollar Give Away? sweepstakes, the largest ever
Western Union giveaway, which will enable one lucky
costumer to become a millionaire.?  The article ends
on this upbeat note: ?Western Union Financial
Services, Inc., a subsidiary of First Data Corp, is an
international leader in money transfer services.
Consumers can quickly and reliably pay bills and
transfer money around the globe.?

Anyway.  At the exorbitant rates charged by Western
Union, I much prefer the cheaper Fonkoze which gives
something back to the community!

PS:  Graduate Student needed to investigate the
goings-on at Haiti-Progrès!
PPS:  Other graduate student needed to investigate
Graduate Student I?s funding in Washington!