28621: lyall (reply) rambling about telephones (fwd)

jdlyall opines:

Would it be possible for me to call 1-800 numbers in the States, from  Haiti
some time in the not to distant future??
Best to All,
Richard Morse

Glad to hear that Digicel is working for normal folks. I never had trouble with Comcel, but they say it has been degraded since they brought out voila.

On calling the us. You have a microwave internet link. With that, and a VOIP box from the states (And a usa address for it) you could have a local Connecticut number right there in Port au Prince.

What is a VOIP box? I have a Callvantage box which gives me unlimited calling within the usa et canada for $30 per month. Vonage is another one, better known, but Callvantage is from AT&T labs and the reviews say it has better sound. Vonage is 5 bux cheaper.

There is a little town on the south coast where mother in law lives with a Vonage box (local Miami number) on their satellite link. We talk over that. No cell phone service there.

Or, you could just install Skype on one of yr computers. Lots of people in Haiti with Skype. Talk for free to other Skype users all around the world, pay a little for call out to regular land lines.

Calling France is like 2 cents a minute. Calling north america is free right now.