28628: Wucker (announce) USIP panel on Haiti Diaspora (fwd)

From: Michele Wucker <wuckerm@yahoo.com>

     This showed up in my mailbox so I thought I'd pass it along
mw

Haiti's Diaspora: Can it Solve Haiti's Enduring Social Conflict?
 Public Event  This event has already taken place.
  Listen to Audio     View Photo Gallery      Explore Further
-->             Date and Time
 Tuesday, July 25, 2006
 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

     Location
 U.S. Institute of Peace
 2nd Floor Conference Room
 1200 17th St, NW
 Washington, DC 20036

Haiti's Diaspora represents a rich resource of human energy and talent. Last
year, remittances from Haitians living abroad exceeded $1 billion dollars and
constituted 24 percent of Haiti's GDP.
      Photo
   -->       In addition to promoting the economy, could the Diaspora also
assist the Preval government in resolving Haiti's enduring social conflict?
      Speakers
   Marlye Gelin-Adams
 CARE International
   Professor Francois Pierre-Louis
 Queens College, CUNY
 Author of Haitians in New York City: Transnationalism and Hometown
Associations
   Dumas Simeus
 Chairman, Simeus Foods international, Inc., and former presidential candidate
   Robert Perito, U.S. Institute of Peace, Moderator
    RSVP  To RSVP, please send your name, affiliation, daytime phone number,
and
name of the event to Greg Maly at gmaly@usip.org.

more info at http://www.usip.org/events/2006/0725_haiti_diaspora.html

Sneak preview the  all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just
radically better.
----- End forwarded message -----