28675: Kathleen (reply) rash of kidnappings (fwd)

From Kathleenmb@adelphia.net

Not long ago, I googled "kidnappings in Italy," remembering my neighbors NOT
going to visit relatives in the 70s because of a rash of kidnappings.
Argentina was having a similar situation, from late 60s to early 80s, "the
disappeared."
The results of my search were instructive and applicable to situation in
Haiti.
    1.  As in Haiti, they arose all of a sudden, starting with rich people
and then just about anyone.
    2.  It was pretty random, whether you got your relative back alive or
not, whether you paid or not.
    3,  THE KIDNAPPINGS STOPPED.
            How?  This is obviously what we want most from Haiti.
It seems that a) police and other law enforcement forces doubled and
tripled, the RELATIVES of the abductors and victims were closely
scrutinized, the penalties were harshened (is that a word?) greatly, the
kidnappers were tracked down as a first priority.

    MOST IMPORTANT -  In contrast to present day Haiti, the kidnappings were
taken seriously.  (I say this because one person demeaned my fear by
suggesting I organize a bake sale or garage sale for a ransom fund; another
wrote me that he couldn't understand why I wasn't coming back was I mad at
him? , still another wrote I shouldn't be afraid because a 78 year old woman
(from my hometown) came to Haiti (the South) this year. A Haitian friend
tells me her sister accuses her of being a "blan," abandoning her roots,
says that she herself won't be kidnapped (lives in Delmas) because she prays
and God will protect her.
ial won't solve the problem, but it may be its greatest protector.
    I encourage others to google as I did. There was a lot of material, and
others on the list may see something that helped them to suggest an
effective ending  that I missed.
    My personal "solution" is a sad but effective one.  Iwon't go to Haiti
until this is fixed.  Not everyone can or will make this decision, but it is
the only one I can, for my loved ones as well as myself.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.