28711: Griffiths-Williams: (reply) Re: 28710: Sylvain (replY) RE: 28696: Anonymous (reply) Corbett: 28674 (fwd)

From Justin Williams

I can't help but see a certain irony in a post which rails against the regression of civilized society in Haiti yet advocates the introduction of the death penalty as a necessity. Public executions no less! Mr Sylvain, you either are against capital punishment or you are not. There are no exceptions! It seems to me that in a world which is overwhelmingly turning its back on the death penalty [ since 1985 fifty countries have abolished capital punishment while four have introduced it - Amnesty International ], a reintroduction would be a huge retrograde step. Not to mention, of course, that anyone conversant on the facts will tell you that the death penalty is invariably meted out to those who are too poor to pay for decent legal representation. Well, i'm sure you can guess how that one would pan out in Haiti. As if there isn't enough inequality as there is!