28730: Clerie (reply) Re: 28723: kathleen (reply) 28714 Cherie (fwd)

From: Philippe Clerie <philippe@gcal.net>

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Is the prospect of due process so impossible to imagine in Haiti?  Why?
Cherie is implying Death Squads are the only answer.  Why?

I implied no such thing. Please read again the post from Anonymous
 (28696).

Quote:

Malone: You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you
pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to
the morgue. That's the Haiti way, and that's how you get The kidnapper!
Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?

End Quote

I merely pointed out that this way leads to death squad. And if you read my
entire post, you will hopefully realize I am not in any way, shape or form
advocating death squads as an answer.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!   Kathleen

The easy answer to that is : FEAR.

You simply have NO idea how much fear there is in the streets of
Port-au-Prince. I go to work every morning and I don't know if at the end of
the day I'll have a wife or whether she'll have a husband. And that is what
most people in Port-au-Prince have to live with every day. (And please note
that I live and work in Pétionville, and that does not make any easier.) So
believe me when I say that I sympathize with Anonymous' position. But it's
not only wrong, it won't work and may even be more dangerous in the long run
than the current situation.

This is getting a bit long but I have to add this. When people are scared the
way we are right now, they'll do anything. In particular, there is a strong
under current in parliament to bring back the Army in some form. That may yet
happen, because there is an unspoken consensus that the only solution to Cité
Soleil is military.

Last but not least, fear is a powerful motivator, and is an emotion that was
and is still being used very skillfully, in the U S of A, by the current US
administration and the Republicans.

Regards
Philippe

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>