28727: Anonymous (reply) Corbett: 28674 (fwd)

It appears the moment someone mentions using a heavy hand to deal with
the kidnapping problem in Haiti everyone starts screaming about the
dreaded death squads, assasinations and other unlawful acts or
institutions which have existed in Haiti past.  Of course that is not the
answer.

The long term solution is economic opportunity, jobs and a functional
police force and judicial system. Until that should happen the government
should make every effort to fight the crime wave facing Haiti today. This
would mean  posting rewards, using informers, community outreach, attempt
to discourage the payment of ransoms, a strong police presence
in volatile neighborhoods and tough penalities for those who are caught
(or attempt to flee). Yes, kidnappers would die. That's par for the
course. What do people think would happen if a kidnapper attempted to
shoot is out with NYPD, LA Police or FBI? Better yet, in the US why does
the FBI get involved kidnappings but not murders? We have to be
realistic. Does anyone think the kidnappers are scared today?

Haiti might be worst than Chicago in the 1930's. Today we have the
closest thing to complete anarchy. The gangs to do simply prey on each
other, they prey of EVERYONE. No one is safe, from the market woman to
wealthly businessperson to foreign missionaries

I have no regrets about "they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one
of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue"  Sounds
dramatic but it it any different than the way law and order is maintained
today in the rest of the world?

PS   No,  I am not some right-wing fanatic, coup supporter or other
extremist. I am just sick and tired.