28764: Re: 28755: Nekita (Comments) on post about college students and Haiti's tourism (fwd)

From: tjpershing@aol.com

Looking at developing Haitian tourism (or any other economic sector) can benefit from the common development patterns in many US cities, where artists and low end business people ( small restaurants, galleries, beauty parlors etc.) move into blighted areas and lead to the gradual interest and understanding of these area's charms and capabilities. I think of when I took a loft in Jersey City and my NYC friends made cracks like "do I need a passport to get there". Fifteen years later it is hot real estate.

along these lines, I know of one art foundation in Jacmel, FOSAJ, that is offering artist in residence programs for fine artists, with great studio space and a nice apartment to live in. Places like FOSAJ, non-profit and always living at the edge of going under, need support from the Haitian american community, in part because they already are an economic force on the ground (no need to re-invent the wheel) and also because they are the core for a re-birth in Haitian tourism, of which Haitian culture is a primary draw.

It would also be worth while to approach traditionally black universities and approprite student unions in other universities to promote travel to Haiti over spring break with a eye towards more than the traditional spring break fare, like some powerful cultural history and real world realities, while still promoting the great times to be had at Haiti's beaches, in her mountains and among her people.

Tim