#1963: From one of the silent listmembers (fwd)

From:LucMalou@aol.com

I have to admit I'm happy about Bob's decision to cut down on personal
attacks.

I am one of the more silent list members.  I used to write more when I first
joined a few years ago but then I began to weigh the "consequences" of my
posts.  For example, I had a sweet yet relevant anecdote that I wanted to
share with the list just after this past Christmas.  I thought it would make
a nice contribution.  But the more I thought about it the more I anticipated
all the underlying ideas that people would extract from my otherwise innocent
post.  In the end I decided not to post it.  Being one of the "lightweights"
on the list, I have to admit to not having the tough skin that is sometimes
needed of listmembers.

One the other hand, I have to say I really enjoy all the exchange of ideas.
Rarely is such openness possibly, especially in such a politically correct
United States.  And I commend the "heavyweights" like Guy Antoine who are
willing to put themselves out there time and time again for the sake of
discussion and idea exchange.  I feel, too, that contributors like Richard
Morse, from inside Haiti, have really added a much needed perspective to this
otherwise diaspora list.

Marian Pierre-Louis