#2127: St. Michel de l'Attalaye (fwd)

From:NLaleau@aol.com

Following is an excerpt from a reply to a list member about St. Michel.  She
had sent me a great description of an incident there, and I gave her another
one from my days with MICIVIH:

"Thanks for your great description!  For some reason, I would be surprised if
the same police chief had still been in power in St. Michel from 1995 to
1998, but in any case, it doesn't sound like it made any difference.  Either
the  U.S. "trainers" were consistently appointing chiefs with makout-type
personality profiles, or else that's just what power does to a lot of Haitian
men once they taste a little of it...

I have another St. Michel story, about the jail.

While the Interim police were still running the jail, I was there inspecting
the jail's records, and we noticed that four prisoners had escaped from their
locked cell... I questioned the police.  They said "They must have turned
themselves into werewolves and flown out."  "Yeah, right," I answered...
figuring that some money had crossed palms.

Two months later, the Interim police were gone and had ransacked the jail.
The new HNP were running it.  But lo and behold, when I inspected the books,
I saw that four prisoners had escaped from precisely the same locked cell...
I questioned the police.  They said "They must have turned themselves into
werewolves and flown out."  "Yeah, right," I answered.

Two more months later, I was at the airport waiting for a plane to arrive
with a friend, and chatted with two HNP who were also waiting by the door to
the tarmac.  I recounted them both of the above stories.  One of them said,
"Oh, they were  certainly lying!  It's very unlikely that werewolves are
involved any more than 20% of the time!"  [He did not seem to be kidding.]

I swear the above is true...

Nancy Laleau