#2204: Bell comment on dysentery

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

The most likely thing to get in Haiti is dysentery.  The first most likely
way to get it is from water and the second is from flies on the food.  The
mild version (loose bowels) you can ride out with rice and beans and Pepto
Bismol (which can be used as a prophylaxis-- the bismuth coats the stomach
and prevents e coli & such from penetrating).  But full blown dysentery can
kill you quick-- dehydration is serious esp in a hot country and if
intestinal hemorrhage starts you can bleed out and die in 24
hours.  Therefore it is a good idea to carry a course of antibiotic such as
Cipro and avoid dubious drinks, esp. tainted water-- much more likely to
bring on serious dysentery than food.

msb