#2539: La Sirene : Grey comments

From:Racine125@aol.com

<makandal-ny@juno.com> writes:

<< Many say that the Haitian Siren is European, citing her name and her
 physical form as evidence.  A Haitian ougan told me she is Greek.  >>

Greek!  Oh, please.

Actually, La Sirene is worldwide, she is Yemaya and Yemonja and Mam Kumba
Bang and Mami Wata and the Great Silkie... almost all cultures have a Queen
of the Seas, or a mermaid, or something like that.  In Nigeria she is Yemaya,
but I think the French word for mermaid was adopted, so now in Haiti we
Vodouisants call her La Sirene.

For more information on La Sirene, see
http://members.aol.com/racine125/sirene.html.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>