#2638: Grey replies to Corbett on basic charity groups

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< First the broad generalization that:  "However, the missionaries, for the
 most part, are working AGAINST structural change, not merely ignoring it."

 I would think that such a broad and serious charge should at least be
 accompanied by some serious argumentation and evidence, not just a bald
 assertion.

 It certainly doesn't fit my experience.  >>

Ummm... well, it does mine!  I have sat in churches in Haiti and listened to
white American missionaries preach to Haitians that the reason they are black
is because they bear the "mark of Cain", they are *cursed*, and as proof,
these missionaries cite the material suffering of black Haitians!  It's
revolting.  They discourage political activity, they sat silently through the
coup d'etat and the three years of misery which followed, they didn't even
protest the murder of Sylvio Claude by Army-backed thugs!  They seek contact
with American pastors to get food aid, and then sell the "sinistre" right off
the wharf!  These are not things I heard about, these are things I witnessed
with my own eyes.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>