#2778: Non-documentary Haitian films : Peck's film (fwd)

From: Ahpaly Coradin <ahpaly@hotmail.com>

I believe that the "Man By the Shore" is on video and may even be available
at Amazon.com.

[Corbett interject:  I just checked.  No.  Amazon doesn't have it, nor
does Barnes and Noble, nor does any major video distributor whose address
I have.]

  It's certainly a "must" for any serious movie collector.
Aside from being an excellent drama with superb performances (including the
last performance of Toto Bissainthe, Haiti's greatest actress), it is the
first Haitian movie that was shown commercially in US theaters.  The movie
premiered in 1996 at two theaters in New York.  Although it wasn't a box
office smash (artistic movies rarely are), it got great reviews and
furthered the artisitic reputation of Raoul Peck, Haiti's foremost film
maker.

As most of you know, Raoul was also Minister of Culture in the Preval
government.  His book, "Monsieur le Ministre/A bout de Souffle" is a brave
chronicle of his tenure in the Preval cabinet and is worth reading.