#2817: Re Polish presence in Haiti : Judson comments

From:Drjudson@aol.com

Hello,
    I read, with interest, the note from Jacqueline Labrom concerning the
Polish presence in Haiti.  The image of Erzuli Dantor (sp?) is prominently
displayed in at least one Hungan's complex well known to me.  This image is
nearly identical to that of the Black Madonna or Our Lady Of  Czestochowa,
the original of which is located in Central Poland in the town of
Czestochowa.  It would be interesting to get more information as to how this
very old and famous painting found its way into the realm of Voodoo.  The
Haitian stroy is that this Erzuli battled with Erzuli Freda for Dantor's
child and that the scratches on Dantor's cheeks came from this fight.  In the
original Polish paining, my understanding is that the scratches were
artifacts related to cutting the camvas during its original re-discovery.
Anyone got any other ideas?

John Judson
drjudson@aol.com