28772: Chriswlow: (reply) Re: 28674: Corbett: On the the rash of kinappings in Haiti (fwd)

From: chriswlow@aol.com

Well, I am in Haiti right now. I think when people are outside the country it is difficult to convince someone to come in. But life does go on. No I do not think that it is possible to run the risk of having your loved ones harmed. One must negotiate. Some do have the courage to tell the police where these kidnapping houses are and some do get raided. Yes, it is true that there are some police involved as well. I think that it is stressful to go through the negotiations, but the fact that many have been through it and gotten their loved ones back makes it more of a business negotiation. I am not minimalizing the emotional stress it causes before and after, but I will say that people's first worry is not that the person maybe killed. The other thing to remember is that this is happening in and around Port Au Prince, The vast majority of people are not under this kind of threat. So I still hope that people will come to Haiti. Just spend less time in Port.

Chris in Lagonav

The Matènwa Community Learning Center Co-director

"Live simply so that others can simply live."