28779: Nlbo (Discuss)artists, black universities, Haiti's development (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

This is  in response to Tim and Chris's posts.

I have seen the idea of bringing  artists, chick restaurants,  graduate
students which had revitalized a community and had made it very expensive to live.
For those of us in  Massachusetts, Cambridge is a typical example. But I am
wondering why is  it
when Haitians open a restaurant or an  art studio in the same neighboorhood,
they have to close. Inman Square in  Cambridge is an example. For instance, a
Haitian restaurant with a high  "blan" clientele did not last five years in
Inman square. The same with a  beautiful art studio in the same vicinity which
did not last two years. I am not  a business expert. But I am wondering why
other cafes, and ethnic restaurants  are striving in Inman square, besides a
grocery store for instance two  Haitian businesses in the area had to close.

Another comment  regarding promoting tourism in black universities. It's an
idea that  needs to be entertained because Haiti is the country in the
Caribbean that had remained closest to Africa in terms of culture and customs. For
instance, I  saw “lanp tet gridap” in Benin (lamps made of empty evaporated
milk tin cans  that are lit up in the market places at night,and some "poor"
houses ). In  a context of Pan African exchange and dialogue, Haiti can also
target African Americans, Afro Canadians, Afro Brazilians, Afro Latinos and other
 Carribbean islanders as a her tourist clientele. I think the world needs to
see  Black people as tourists also.

In addition to  tourism, college students even those attending predominantely
white  institutions, or Haitians with a college education in the US need to
be more  integrated in the Haitian diasporic community.  It seems that once
Haitians  graduate from a U.S higher institution, and get a job, they are no
longer involved in the Haitian community. Sometimes I wonder if those who work
in the Haitian communities put country's work ethos into practice  when
delivering services to the Haitian community.

College students,  young adults are an interesting group of people who could
do a lot for Haiti and  Haitians outside of Haiti. This is a generation with
fresh minds, fresh ideas,  knowlegeable of the western's way of doing things.
But so far, the Haitian  community had not proved itself able to use the skills
of this younger  generation or had created a structure or environment where
even the older  generation  who went to college outside of Haiti could be an
integral part  of the diasporic community.  All one has to do is to look around
and see  who are in the radios , in the churches, in the stores, in the
"bals". A community needs to use the gifts and talents of every one and have a
balance of all levels of education,  knowledge from various fields in order  to
function well. "Club members" interacting among themselves can not create a
healthy community.

I  have noticed here in Boston several consulates like the Brazilian, the
Cape  Verdean, the Japanese, work with their respectives community.  Some  have
them have classes for their expatriates. They teach the children the
curriculum of their countries. I had Japanese children who used to go to those classes
on Saturdays.  I have proposed the need to take care of young  Haitians to
some Haitian officials but no one is listening. I am wondering who  is(are)
really overseeing that Haitians in the diaspora are involved in building  both
their communities that will help in rebuilding Haiti.  I strongly  believe in
order for Haitians to have a strong influence in Haiti, we have to be  an
organized, thoughthful, engaged group people wherever we  are.

Haiti  also needs people like Chris who are willing to spend years in Haiti
and  help build a community outside of Port-au-Prince. Though I have not been
to  Lagonav, I agree with Chris things are not chaotic outside of
Port-au-Prince. I have brought my children to the provinces. They like it. Haitian diplomats need to hire people to write in major newspapers,internet lines to say
things similar  to what Chris had said. Haitians need more Haitians and
foreigners to talk about their positive experiences in Haiti. I don't know what came
out of  that Summit last June. But it is certain Haiti is not getting positive
comments  in major newspapers like those Chris, Tim, and I have written when
I have  gone to Haiti.

I really enjoy Chris' and Tim's  comments. I also wish Haitians will
contribute more in the forum. I hope  those "food for thoughts" about involving
college students and college educated adults raised and grown in the US could be
useful when Haiti's  policy makers are thinking of Haiti's development.

Thanks,
Nekita