28876: Morse (comment) Tourism and Culture (fwd)

oloffsonram@aol.com

Spent last weekend in the provinces. It's unbelievably peaceful out there. Started in Cavaillon which is a lovely little town on the main road, just before you reach Les Cayes. There was a festival there celebrating their river. The main church in Cavaillion is Notre Dame de Perpetual Secours. It was a four day festival with activities during the day and bands at night. We played on Sunday, the last of the four days. It rained and rained but the crowd stayed anyway. Along with RAM were Azor, Boukman Experience and a new Haitian reggae singer named Belo.

One of the residents of Cavaillion came up to me the next morning and explained that Cavaillion is special because the people there don't have complexes. They don't mind going to university or school in the morning and then working in the gardens later on....

The next day we headed to Port Salut. If you like beautiful sandy beaches and seafood prepared by fishermen, then Port Salut is for you. We caught the tail end of their celebration for St Dominique. We walked up to a spring (Tet Souce) in the mountains where people often go to pray. I reiterate that once you leave Port-au-Prince, it's nothing but tranquility.

Perhaps the best way to consider potential economic development is to first identify places that are socially stable and work from there. Create infrastructure and save Port-au-Prince for last.

The worst part of the journey was the road between Ti Guave and Miragoane. Awful. The road between Les Cayes and Port Salut has been recently paved and this has greatly shortened traveling time.

My Voila/Comcel telephone doesn't work in most of these provincial towns. Digicel seems to have done a much better job of creating a network that permits communication in the provinces.

Richard Morse