28951: Durban (comment): Haitian Tourism (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

In #28914 LeGrace Benson reports that "(Minister of Tourism) Patrick
Delatour notes lack of trained hotel personnel" as a factor in Haiti's
low standing as a tourist destination.  Hmmm.  When people are afraid
to visit the country because of a lack of security, my guess is that
the lack of trained hotel personnel is a pretty negligible factor.

It's a chicken or egg question of which comes first, the tourists or
the trained hospitality industry personnel.  In our own small circle of
friends in Haiti, we know three young Haitians who have trained
overseas in the field but for lack of opportunity in Haiti have
remained overseas.  One works on a cruise ship, one is employed by a
resort in Dubai, and the third is seeking employment in the Persian
Gulf.

Beyond the basic security consideration, Haitian tourism suffers from
lack of economic value in hotel rooms.  Compared to similar hotels
catering to tourists in the Dominican Republic, Haitian hotels are
overpriced.  Again, it is a chicken or egg question; with more tourists
you could probably afford to charge less for your rooms and still make
money.

Lance Durban