29110: kathleen (reply) 29077 (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

"false comparison to Native Americans"
On the contrary, Haiti is doing to its poor precisely what the American
government did to the original "owners" of the continent - keep them
uneducated, isolated, malleable, and subject to false promises.
Their traditions and native languages were beaten out of them, and the only
"schools" were for auto mechanics.  AIM helped changed that: the first
Navajo I met was getting his Master's degree at M.I.T.  By luck, his family
grew up near Gallup, and could therefore go to "white" schools.  Those in
the center were SOL.
    Haiti? Oh, yes, a few schools have been built with name of president in
power proudly displayed, but no school lunches, no paid teachers, no effort
to educate the populace who might therefore be critical of dictates/promises
from both Church and State..So, when the Catholic Church ordered all mapou
trees cut down (about 40-50 years ago) because that was where vodou spirits
were supposed to dwell, the uneducated did it.  When Duvalier, Cedras, and
Aristide ordered people killed, people with no choice for another job did
it.
Ireland raised itself out of terrible poverty to one of the richest
countries in the EU by governmental commitment to education - primary thru
university.
Kathleen

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.