29134: Lucas (reply) Re: 29118: Potemaksonje (News) Latortue's disturbing legacy (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <maloukwi@yahoo.com>

This is not new Potemakbliye. These people are always making false reports -- just look at the ongoing investigations into the Lancet.

A review of the 1992-2004 Haiti portion of the Foreign Registration Act (FARA) put out by the U.S. Justice Department discloses the sources of funding for various individuals and lobbyists who, in addition to their routine lobbying activities, issued reports that essentially validated Aristide's actions and views. It is important to go and check the records of these people at this office because many of these people never publicly disclose that they were in fact paid lobbyists for Aristide but posing as independent.

This office is on New York Avenue and 14th Street in Washington. For $10 all the information will be provided. It wasn't democracy advocacy....neg ta plen poch yo...Kembe la.

  Anyway found for you on the internet Mr. Latortue's response:

  Dear Editor,

I was both dismayed and surprised to read in an Opinion page article in your september 7, 2006 edition,a litany of misstatements and outright lies of Mr.
  Kurzban purporting to comment on my tenure as Interim Prime Minister of
  Haiti during the last two years. Not wishing to dignify Mr. Kurzban's article
with a detailed response, I would like only to point out a few obvious misstatements
  your Newspaper could have easily verified.

First and foremost, the basis for Mr. Kurzban's allegations is a now discredited study published in the Lancet and purporting to reflect on the brutality of my government. A quick search would have revealed that the Lancet, indeed a prestigious British medical journal, is already actively investigating complaints about potential conflicts of interest involving the author of the article, a student at Wayne State University's school of social work in Detroit, Athena Kolbe, who has been an employee of Mr. Aristide for three and half years at one of the latter's centers where street children were organized to terrorize Haitians during his regime, using both weapons and rape, often in plain view of Mr. Aristide's police.They even threatened to rape the Haitian National Police spokewoman during my own tenure as they continued their despicable practices under the leadership of Mr. Kurzban's employer. For obvious reasons, Ms Kolbe used the pseudonym " Lyn Duff " to sign her article.

Mr. Kurzban's article is simply part of a well - funded pro-Aristide campaign to distort news and repair the reputation of Aristide, his discredited employer.He has the funds to do it.Over the years,he has collected over ten millions dollars (exactly $10,840,734) from the Haitian Public Treasury which was left empty upon Mr.Aristide's departure. This is why the lawsuit undertaken to look into Mr.Aristide's tenure was withdrawn. It has never been dismissed by the trial court, as Mr.Kurzban seems to wrongly allege,another fact which you could also have easily checked in the U.S.Federal Court in Miami. And yes, the two hundred fifty thousand a month referred to were never paid
  to the law firm. On the other hand, Mr.Kurzban has already collected.

Lastly, even though I have had the honor and the privilege to hold various posts during my long career, I have yet to be a " radio announcer in Boca ", as M.Kurzban avered.

  Gerard Latortue
  Former Interim Prime Minister
  19207 Cloister Lake Lane
  Boca Raton, Fl 33498