29142: Clerie (Reply): Re: 29128: Nat reply:RE: 29125: Clerie (Reply): Re: 29116: Nat comments: RE: 29099: (fwd)

Philippe Clerie <philippe@gcal.net>

In any case the illegality of France actions is
clear if we read through the Vienna Treaty of 1815. France had already
signed
this treaty in 1824 (Treaty of Vienna,
1815) and so its use of threat to enforce this payment was totally outside
the law.

I found a good half-dozen references to Treaties of Vienna of which 5 were
prior to 1820. The 1815 Treaty is the one that settled the political map of
Europe after the wars of Napoleon. Note that the initial post said something
about the _Vienna Convention_ not _Treaty of Vienna_. The treaty of 1815 is
also known as the Congress of Vienna. Very confusing. But it's a lawyers
world with terminology to match.

I have no idea why any of those treaties would apply. But then again,

a- I haven't read them, nor do I intend to;
b- lawyers can always pull a rabbit out a hat (even magicians have to fake
that one);
c- on the outside chance that there is a case and that Haiti can find and
retain better lawyers than France can, I'll just clam up. We could use the
money. Even it if is spent badly. On lawyers, most likely.

Cheers!

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>