Dure: (ask) Hispagnola (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 04:36:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu>
To: Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu>
Subject: Hispagnola (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 00:54:44 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Gerard F. Dure <gerard8319@bellsouth.net>
To: corbetre@webster.edu
Subject: Hispagnola

Mr. Corbette,

My name is Gerard F. Dure. I am a filmmaker  and a great fan of your devoted
site on Haitian matters.

Most recently I've observed that the mainstream media here in the United
States keep on referring Haiti as Hispagnola. A reference that is very
disturbing. I belong to a group here in Georgia called "The Haitian League -
Georgia" and I am very concerned about this misrepresentation of Haiti.

Question?
    - Was there a move by the Dominican Republic back in the 1930's to
rename the whole island Hispagnola? If there was, would you happen to have
any documentation on that move?

    -  Was there a UN decree and what was the position of the Haitian
Government?

I am doing background searches on this matter because the group wants to
take the networks to task and ask them to refrain from using the name
Hispagnola when identifying Haiti. I seem to run into brick walls and I
cannot find any books covering this particular subject.

Please help!

Thank you,

Gerard F. Dure

The Haitian League-Georgia