29518: ClayKilgore (announce) VERTIERES DAY CELEBRATION - SF Bay Area (fwd)

From: clay kilgore <claykilgore@kledev.org>

Hey Gang!
If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area this weekend:
This Saturday, I'm going to the PARTY that's described below.

This is is going to be the biggest,
most fun
Haiti event/party
in the Bay Area ever!

VERTIERES DAY marks DAY ONE of the beginning of FREEDOM!
It's not MY event, I'm just going to have a great time!

CARE TO JOIN ME? (I'm going for the Dance Lesson at 8:30!)
I'm buying my tickets at the door!
PLEASE FORWARD to your Friends!

Saturday, 11/18/06

VERTIERES DAY CELEBRATION WITH KALBASS,
RASI-N BANBOU, EL-WHA MOVEMENT DANCE TROUPE

Doors at 8:00 pm; Show at 9:30 pm
Kompa dance lesson with Will Bellot at 8:30 pm
$15 general/$12 advance & students

Vertieres was the decisive victory of Haitians over the French forces
of Napoleon in November 1803. Celebrating Haiti’s struggle for
independence by marking “Vertieres Day” in true Ashkenaz style, two
bands provide music, and dancers from El-Wha Movement Folkloric Dance
Troupe led by Colette Eloi give a colorful demonstration of Haitian
dance styles. Vegetarian Haitian food will be offered as well. A
portion of the event’s proceeds will go to Haitian reforestation.

Will Bellot offers a free kompa dance lesson and then leads his band
Rasi-n Banbou in Haitian voudou and folkloric music. Kalbass plays
traditional music of Haiti and the Caribbean, including kompa, rara,
reggae, salsa, and merengue. The group came together in 2005 when its
musicians met at an open mic and decided that their mission would be
to make kompa as popular as reggae and soca. They left the bands they
were in and formed Kalbass (Haitian for “gourd”). Songwriter-lead
singer Sophis (Fredy Dorsainvil), singer-guitarist Gary Bellot, and
bassist-singer-arranger El Maestro (Pierre Loiseau), all Haitian-
born, are joined by East Bay native Jason Goveia on guitar and, for
this performance, Arsene Kounde, former drummer for Mory Kante and
Soukous Stars.

www.kalbasskreyol.com

Ashkenaz is located at:

     1317 San Pablo Avenue