=?x-unknown?q?29585=3A__jhudicourtb_Re=3A_29570=3A=A0_Markgill?==?x-unknown?q?_=28asks=29=A0_news_about_port_salut_area_=28?==?x-unknown?q?fwd=29?=

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

I visited Port-Salut twice last summer.   It's very nice.   Getting to Les
Cayes by road is long because the part between TiGwav and Miragwan is
outrageously bad. Should be worse these days because of the rainy season. The road
gets better after that and is very good between Okay and Port Salut except that
there is a booby trapped bridge.   The metal bridge is missing most of its
floor boards and you are better off crossing the riverbed if it's not raining
and not crossing at all if it is raining.
The town itself is a sleepy town, one of the rare places where I tried to go
to market early in the morning and found that the machann were just arriving
around 10 am.   There are a few small hotels.   I have stayed in the cheap Le
Village past the town towards the beach (Around $25 with private bath), no
frills.   Across the street   is a fancy new one more like $90 called Le Rayon
Vert. Both seem to be owned by a French man. His wife manages the cheap one,
he and another woman have the expensive one.   His restaurant is excellent but
pricey for Haiti, $12   for steak.    The French man assured us that he does
not cook local food because he promised not to compete with the Haitian cooks.
  You can eat very well accross the street for much less.   That restaurant
at Le Village Hotel on the beach is managed by locals.   The food on the tip
of the beach is also excellent.   I had grilled lobster and fish there for a
reasonable price 250 godes, with plantain.   The locals will offer you a table
and a chair and you can buy sodas, coconuts, and crafts.   There is always an
assortment of vendors and also of 2 or 3 crazy peope ready to tell you stories.
If you run out of supplies there is an old fashion Boutik Kay Madan Bonel
which has everything you might need, from Kerosene to toothbrush. There is also
a "supermarket" which has no fresh foods but seems to be receiving imports
from France. There you can get olive oil and French canned goods. And a cold
beer.
It is really a very good place to have a lazy day on what could be one of the
nicest beaches in Haiti and the world.   The people are cool.   Uruguay
represents Minustah there, they are also cool.
The only problem is the number of barking dogs at night in the Pointe Sable
Village.