29659: 29626: Lucas comments Nat: Six months on, Haitians grumble over government (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <maloukwi@yahoo.com>

I want to go back to your original point about six months being too early for the media to begin criticizing the Preval Administration. I would remind you that a free press is part of a true democracy. The press needs to be fair and balanced in its coverage. So to not look at the government from all angles -- good and bad -- would just be irresponsible journalism. Look at the situation in the US -- Democrats haven't even taken leadership yet, and they're already being judged and assessed. It's part and parcel of a healthy debate -- and a healthy country.

I am strongly against muzzling the press. And that goes for their coverage of me and my involvement in Haiti as well. The press should provide fair and balanced coverage of me too. Unfortunately that has not been the case. The storeis on Google that you refer to (I think there are about 3 total stories) have been calculated political attacks -- bordering on character assassination. But I'm hearing from literally thousands of people -- in Haiti and abroad -- daily (or even hourly) about how they agree with my analysis and comments on the situation. Who's covering that? Where's the balance there?"

  Stanley Lucas