29769: Re : Emmanuelle Re : 29720: Durban (comment): On Emmigrating and Opportunity (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

On Durban's comments, the Haitian migration should not be seen in such a simplistic way. It is too complex of an issue. In 1986, when there was some hope that Haiti had a chance to move on to a more stable living environment, many many Haitians from the diaspora thought of going back home. Many more than one can think. What they wanted was a minimum of security (physical, financial, social )where they can exercise their freedom, rights and live in peace. This was quickly translated into a dream, an illusion - the country plunged into chaos from there on and many remained on standby waiting for the miracle day which never came. There are indeed educated Haitians with positive work ethics who remain - but they are the very courageous ones who accept the faith that they have to struggle to earn their living since the state does not value their knowledge, their values to put them at the noble service of their country. They too do not want to work in the public sector - emblem of corruption, instability and incompetence. I salute their courage but they are not better off. I watch many good men and women with high intellect and integrity being wasted because the country has not taken advantage of what they can offer. The social governmental structure does not create an environment for them to integrate into the mainstream development of the country. However, those who choose to leave, as educated as they are - make a choice to find better in a more structured environment where they can work and live peacefully. Of course, many are disappointed and would have preferred to remain home but with a weekly paycheck and easier access to loan to own a home and a car - why not and despite the fact that their heart is in Haiti. Those from the masses - emigrate because they have nothing and in their virtual mind - they will discover wealth straight from the trees. Soon they will also be disappointed but will settle for what they can find - some scrub floors 12 hours a day - some cleans the elderly's excrement for hours per day, in other words, all the dirty jobs that some groups in the States will not do, they will do ; therefore talking about taxpayer's money is absurd because we can very well talk about the sweat of the Haitians and the many who are also paying taxes. The Haitians who left their country have not left with taxpayer’s money nor are they greeted with taxpayer’s money upon arrival. I don’t think we have such privileges. I should also highlight the contribution of the Haitian community. They are the highest in numbers among caribbean immigrants who have bought homes in many communities (e.g.Long Island New York), etc…. thus they do play a major role in the US economy since many pay high housing interests and taxes. I also know many Haitians who have invested money in Haiti and have lost all. The Haitian so-called Bourgeois or middle class do not feel secure to invest in their country. They risk losing all if not by tontons macoutes during the Duvalier era, now by Aristide chimeres. So far, no government has created an enabling environment for long term internal investment. We have seen recently many businesses destroyed by Aristides chimeres. The Dominican Republic provides this security – we cannot thus blame the bourgeois for investing abroad if they are not given the incentives to invest internally - The Filipinos do not know Haiti, they may see opportunities that those who grew up in Haiti or who have been living there for many years and who have experienced the turbulences of Duvalier tonton macoutes, Aristide Chimeres and now kinappings - cannot see. In many countries, foreigners have succeeded in sectors where nationals have not. Which groups have the monopoly of fruit markets in the states - isn'it the Koreans - and we can go on. Are they not paying taxes or are they using taxpayer’s money. Regarding the Arab business community – they are very entrepreneurial by blood and culture. They have succeeded not just in Haiti but in Africa as well. Unfortunately, their secrets and know- how is not passed on to Haitians. They work in family. An experience can be acquired but traditions are harder to break.

___________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface révolutionnaire.
http://fr.mail.yahoo.com