29777: Hermantin(News)Finding appraisers of Haitian paintings (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Fri, Jan. 05, 2007

ART MARKET
Finding appraisers of Haitian paintings• Q: I have two paintings by a Haitian artist, each of a tropical forest scene, which I would like to sell but, having bought them from a friend, I have no knowledge of what they might be worth on the gallery market. Does Action Line know of any fair and honorable persons whom I should contact for an appraisal?

H. R.,

Miami

• A: We asked Virginia Miller, owner-director of Artspace/Virginia Miller Galleries in Coral Gables and one of South Florida's most established art exhibitors. She said she and her staff can appraise older, more historical Haitian artworks. For more information, contact Artspace/Virginia Miller Galleries at 305-444-4493 or visit www.virginiamiller.com.

For contemporary Haitian works, Miller recommended Myriam Nader of Galerie d'Art Nader. Nader charges $150 for an appraisal, so consider first whether it's worthwhile; she can be reached at 305-412-9618.

In Plantation, Haitian art expert Candice Russell also handles appraisals. Her fee varies, depending on how many pieces are to be appraised and the extent of research requested, but she'll let you know first whether they're worth appraising. She can also refer you to specialized galleries, if you're interested in selling. She can be reached at 954-792-9887 or luluchat@aol.com.

Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series.  Who will win? http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001