29809: Emmanuelle Re : 29789: Du Tuyau; Re: Bad Allegations about bourgeoisie (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

The DR has no problems with Haitians investing in their country. They welcome the middle class and the Bourgeois - the Haitians are their main partners. Also, understand that it is an island divided into two. The DR is the only place where one can go by car. Any other place, you need to take a plane. It is thus easy for Haitian Businessmen. Again, in my view, the Bourgeois or those investing in the DR are not to blame. The whole idea of investment is to forecast profit in the longer term. The Haitian Government, the State is to blame - either the role of investment (internal and external) on the economy is not recognized by the Government as crucial, either they just don't care if the country remains poor and isolated or either those in power are just too mediocre. Yes, the DR has mistreated poor Haitians, only the masses, the black color sugar cane cutters. The DR has however welcomed the Bourgeois and the few upper middle class and accorded them with welcoming treatment. Why? with Haitians only, they generate more than US 100 millions a year - we are their main partners. They don't need the black haitian poor workers but they do want the money of the Haitian merchants. What the Haitians Government should do - is to create the necessary environment for people to invest in Haiti - they need maximum security. Before one engages into a business, what do they do?they evaluate risks - In Haiti, the risk of doing business is 500%. There are more risks in Haiti than the DR. Therefore, we should stop blaming the Bourgeois who invest there. Rather, you should blame the Government of Haiti for driving Haitian businessmen into investing in the DR. I know personally many people whose businesses were destroyed by Aristide chimeres. Aristide himself ordered the chimeres to ransack businesses. Unless this practice is stopped and that the Government recognizes the role that their citizens should play at all levels in the Haitian economy, the DR will continue to profit - So far, the Haitian Government has done nothing to stop the brain drain - instead, Haitians are compelled to leave the country by the very situation created by a failed state. Canada recently granted citizenship to Haitian professionals along with their families. Only the educated ones were allowed. The Government did nothing. Again, we should stop blaming the bourgeois for the failure of a system which has never valued its citizen enough to maintain them at the service of the country. With regard to Haitian sugar cutters, why doesn't the Haitian government request the DR to send back all the mistreated Haitians so that they can get better treatment in Haiti. e.g. build housing for them, create jobs for them - with such a cheap manpower, they can work on Haiti's land as well, have our own sugar cane plantations - As long as the government is adamant on its responsabilities, I don't believe that you should continously put the blame on the bourgeois, the middle class or others for investing elsewhere, even in the DR. Remember, businesses have one thing in mind, Profit. Morality is a relative concept in their mind. "Put your money where your mouth is". I have never been in the DR however I understand those who do for whatever reasons.